Monday 30 March 2009

genre and the features


Genre
Genre is a written symbol that connect between the writer and the reader. There are six genres taught by an English teacher at school. They are descriptive, narrative, recount, procedure, report and anecdote. Most of genres are hardly comprehended by learners, why? Because students do not know how to begin learning genres well.

To overcome the problems faced, these are the steps to comprehend it better. The steps are comprehending the generic structure and the language features. Look at example ;

A. Narrative

1. generic structure

a. Orientation
b. Complication
c. Resolution
d. Re-orientation

2. language features

a. Use simple past tense
b. Use past perfect tense

B. Narrative text


Orientation
It was a warm day in March. I was very excited. The day had finally come. I was in the rowing team for the Olympics. I got up very early and exercised as always. Then after breakfast I drove to Drummoyne. My team arrived and at last it was time to start.

Complication
Ready, set and the starting gun went off. We began in the third position and were slowly moving closer. There they were. We could see the second boat and then we did it.

Resolution

We moved past. My arms were aching. My whole body was sore but we all rowed harder.The first boat was just in front I saw a dark shadow near the boat. I looked again. What was it? I was sure it was the shape of a cigar. ‘Oh my God’, I thought, ‘I must be seeing things. A shark in Parramata River? Impossible!’

Re-orientation

Just then I pulled my oar out of the water. ‘Oh no, why only half?’ I thought. Then I knew. I shouted to my team, ‘Shark! Shark!’ and suddenly we forgot the race. We rowed faster than ever back to shore. We made it. Phew, we were safe!
From the story read above, we conclude that the language used in the story is the Simple Past Tense.

No comments: