Wednesday 25 March 2009

Teaching English Genre


Narrative Genre




Many ways of learning genres are promoted by almost all English teacher in a formal or informal education. But the problems never end since the teacher teaches or comprehends the learners. The problem is way used by learners contrast with teacher ambition. That’s why the objective of subject taught can not be achieved.

As we know that there are five genres taught by SMP teacher. They are procedure, narrative, descriptive, recount and report. Each genres is taught concern with the curriculum used in the running educational year and the level. Teaching genres may be more enjoyable if the teacher can influence students’ interest in any time happened.

To overcome teachers’ problems, here is the strategy applied by an English teacher to teach a narrative genre. The teacher must :

  1. introduce narrative genre
  2. explain the function of narrative genre
  3. explain the generic structure of narrative genre
  4. explain what language features are included in narrative genre


Definition of Narrative Genre

a genre that tells past accident and entertain the readers


Generic structures

  1. orientation : introduce the actor, time and place happens
  2. complication : problems are faced by the actor
  3. resolution : way used to solve the problems
  4. re-orientation : final result of actor does

Look at the example below;

Orientation :
It was a warm day in March. I was very excited. The day had finally come. I was in the rowing team for the Olympics. I got up very early and exercised as always. Then after breakfast I drove to Drummoyne. My team arrived and at last it was time to start.
Complication
Ready, set and the starting gun went off. We began in the third position and were slowly moving closer. There they were. We could see the second boat and then we did it.
Resolution

We moved past. My arms were aching. My whole body was sore but we all rowed harder.
The first boat was just in front I saw a dark shadow near the boat. I looked again. What was it? I was sure it was the shape of a cigar. ‘Oh my God’, I thought, ‘I must be seeing things. A shark in Parramata River? Impossible!’

Re-orientation

Just then I pulled my oar out of the water. ‘Oh no, why only half?’ I thought. Then I knew. I shouted to my team, ‘Shark! Shark!’ and suddenly we forgot the race. We rowed faster than ever back to shore. We made it. Phew, we were safe!

From the story read above, we conclude that the language used in the story is the Simple Past Tense. Look at italic word in the story abobe.

No comments: